The Steirerhut Restaurant is located in one of the oldest buildings from Sundridge.
It was lumber that attracted the first pioneers to Sundridge. In fact, the first business was a sawmill. James Dunbar, who arrived in 1876, is considered the founder of our village. Bob Dunbar, who was the Castles's next neighbour, was a descendant of thaat very James.
Wiiliam Anderson, another pioneer, had a new home built for his wife and family on this property in 1882 (or 1884, depending on who is remembering). Sundridge still has Albert, John and Edward Streets named after the Andersons sons. Much later, (1935) the home became the Castle Inn where Eva Sullivan (nee Dunbar) cooked wonderful meals and rented out three rooms upstairs. The Gregg Family bought the castle in 1982 At the time, it was again a home, but soon converted once more into a restaurant. The additions were done since that time.
As you sit in the front dining room, picture it as a bedroom with a small bathroom, including a three foot claw bathtub. The central room was the dining room. The wall was opened between the two rooms to form the present dining area. The original staircase was restored and the old brass light fixture remains in the front hall.
Tough the original brick still existed, there was some crumbling, henve the presend siding and roof. However, the windows and turret still give us the "Castle" aura.
Customer seem to like our "old house" atmosphere but our favourite story is about "Gladys the Ghost". People who have lived in older homes realize that a normal characteristic is all of the creaks, cracks and settlings that are an integral part of a 120-year-old building, however well constructed. At first, this "house-murmurs" played havoc with our imaginations. We felt moved to run upstairs to look for the source of footsteps, or supposed stirring in the attic. When we gasped the truth of sounds, we jokingly attributed them to pur resident ghost, who was dubbed "Gladys".
Nevertheless, some recent information from a descendant of the Anderson family gave us real sivers. We are told that her father, Earle Anderson, lived in this house as a child. In 1898, his 17-month-old sister died here from the effects on an injury caused by a fall. Her name was ... Gladys !!! Whether or not our Gladys is a real ghost, we have always thought her spirit is a friendly one.
In 2003, the Eska family, immigrants from Austria inEurope, rented the Castle and created the Steirerhut Restaurant in February 2004. So do relax and enjoy your visit to the Steirerhut Restaurant, located in the Castle.